Monday, January 16, 2012

Painting Fog with Atmosphere


I have had several requests for an explanation of how I paint fog. Well, I don't really paint fog, as such. Maybe you could paint a scene, let it dry, and then glaze over it with a thin layer of "fog", I don't know. What I do is use my "atmosphere". Atmosphere is usually your sky color, or some other light bluish grey paint that you mix into your "local color" - the "real" color of objects viewed up close. As objects recede into the distance, you add more of the atmosphere color to it, to make the color blur, giving the illusion of distance. I do this in most of my paintings. What's different about fog paintings is that I use much more of the atmosphere mix, making even closer objects appear enveloped in fog. When painting fog like this, you can also easily control the tone or mood of the whole painting by mixing some of the same atmosphere into all of your colors, thereby giving the painting "color harmony" - an overall blue tone, an overall purple tone, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment